Friday 25 January 2013

Otello, The Opera - A Sports Journalist's View

‘You’re a sports journalist, why are you going to opera?’ That was probably a question that many of Twitter followers were thinking on Thursday night. Everyone who knows me that I am football-mad from a supporter and journalist point of view. Apparently I have a reputation for knowing in-depth facts from who has a groin strain to who has a dodgy knee.

Not many people are aware that I do enjoy a trip to theatre, although I don’t get chance to go that often. I did go and see Oliver a few months ago with my friend which I thought was a marvellous production. So when my tutor at Leeds Trinity walked in the room and waved tickets to Otello at the Leeds Grand around, I immediately jumped on his back and put my name for one.

Now the main problem was that I had never been to opera before. I had my own preconceptions, people of the older generation dressed in black tie – all the stereotypes. Even my dad said when I told that I was said, ‘well you better get your suit out’. On the morning of the trip, he even told me that I couldn’t go to the opera with shoes looking like they were. This was before he wasted valuable minutes cleaning them. I don’t think during my time at the opera that anyone even looked at my shoes. So I can assure people that you can go to the opera in your normal clothes.

However, I did have concerns of my own. I wasn’t sure whether I would understand it and I must admit I was a little bit nervous. But myself and those given backstage tours were put at ease by the set manager and David Kempster, the villainous Iago in the opera, who explained details about the play.

For a first time opera goer, Otello is a fantastic performance to go see. It is easy to understand (there are even English titles in the corner of the theatre). Love and jealousy are the central themes from the start. Iago is jealous of the young captain Cassio and believes he should hold the position. Otello is jealous of Cassio as he believes that the captain is having an affair with his wife Desdemona.

Although I cannot compare the performance to other operas, I really enjoyed Otello. You have to also appreciate the talent of the performers. In sport, surprisingly I admire Rugby League players more than footballers. Rugby League players put their bodies on the line each week and must walk away from matches so heavily battered and bruised. Operatic singers have to really work their bodies to be able to belt out such wonderful tones. Opera stars even have special individual warm-ups and cannot perform every day because their voices need a rest.

The work and commitment is fantastic and something that should cherished and loved by the younger generation as well as the older one. Most of the audience were 60+ and that is a crying shame. Opera and theatre organisations need to look at attracting younger faces. Myself and one of my Leeds Trinity colleagues were receiving funny looks as we took our seats and that was probably because of our ages. Twenty-two year-olds at the opera is in all likelihood a rare occurrence. So I think age of the audience is a big issue for opera companies.

However, my message to those who have never been to opera is: give it a try.

I’m also sending a brief note to my tutor – when is the next one?

Although this doesn’t mean that I will stop knowing which player needed an injection in his toe 15 minutes before kick-off to be able to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment