Thursday 15 August 2013

FA Cup memories - Glasshoughton Welfare manager Rob Hunter

Glasshougton Welfare manager Rob Hunter recalls his favourite FA Cup memory ahead of Saturday’s Extra Preliminary Round clash with Jarrow Roofing Bolden CA at Leeds Road (kick off 3pm).

The FA Cup for me is a great prelude for the rest of the season because it starts so early. It is only three days after our first league game. I desperately want to beat Jarrow Roofing.
It is great for the team to win an FA Cup game and it is great for the club to have that prestigious game behind them. Then there are also the financial rewards that it brings.
I’m desperate for us to win that first FA Cup and FA Vase match. I think it is massive for a club like Glasshoughton.
I have lots of memories from the FA Cup, but probably my favourite memory is when as a 17-year-old I played for Harrogate Town in the first ever floodlit game at Wetherby Road (18th September 1982). It was a Preliminary Round replay after we drew 1-1 at Accrington Stanley.
We beat them 3-1 in front of 2,000 people at Wetherby Road and as a 17-year-old I got a gallon of whisky for being the man of the match. That’s probably my best memory of the FA Cup.
We had beat West Auckland in the round before Accrington and then got knocked out by Frickley and as a 17-year-old it was a fantastic experience. It was under Alan Smith and there was some excellent players playing for Harrogate Town in those days. There was John Deacey, Stuart Ferebee, John Campbell, Mick Margis.
We also played Leeds United and then Manchester United came for the official opening for the floodlights. Against Manchester United, I played 20 minutes in the midfield trying to mark Peter Beardsley of all people. Not many people remember Peter Beardsley playing for Man United.
I spent 20 minutes chasing Peter Beardsley around and wondering what the hell was going on. It was a fantastic experience.
But the first actual game under floodlights was against Accrington Stanley and during my brief spell with Harrogate Town that was the highlight.

Rob Hunter was in conversation with James Grayson

No comments:

Post a Comment