Thursday 1 August 2013

Playing for Gibraltar was a dream come true for new Guiseley striker Adam Priestley

Adam Priestley
By James Grayson (Twitter: @jamesAgrayson)
Playing for the Gibraltar National Team was a dream come true for new Guiseley striker Adam Priestley.

Priestley, who is 23 later this month, signed for Steve Kittrick’s Conference North side today after a successful trial period at Nethermoor, but last month appeared for Gibraltar in their friendly with Scottish Premier League side Hibernian.
Priestley qualifies to play for Gibraltar having been born there when his dad Adrian was serving on the Rock with the RAF.

The striker was initially meant to train with Gibraltar, but was a late addition to the team that faced Hibernian and he admits that it was a great experience.
 

He said: “It was quite strange. It came out of nowhere and when I played it was by far the best footballing experience of my life.
“I’ve always wanted to go back (to Gibraltar) and I’ve always been passionate about where I am from, but I’ve never had the chance or the opportunity to go back.

“To play for the National Team was absolutely brilliant.

"I booked the flights on the Thursday and then went out on the Sunday

“I got there, met the manager (Allen Bula) and trained on the Monday and Tuesday and then got told I was in the squad for the game.

“I wasn’t expecting to get in the team for the game. I went out literally expecting I was going to train with the squad and just get to know the players. When he told me that was I was in the squad and could be getting a game, I was obviously quite excited.

“The game went well, we lost 3-1, but when I came on I did alright.”

Priestley is open to playing again for Gibraltar, but his main concern at the moment is Guiseley.
The former Garforth Town forward hit 27 goals for Farsley AFC last season which understandably attracted attention.
After unsuccessful trials at Conference clubs FC Halifax Town and Hyde FC, Priestley found refuge at Guiseley and scored on his debut at Brighouse Town last week.

Kittrick was impressed and speaking on Tuesday, Priestley said: “I’ve had some good conversations with the manager, it is just a matter of sorting things out with the manager.
“I went down to Halifax and Hyde and things didn’t work out and I got a bit down, thinking what is going to happen.

“But then I spoke to the manager at Guiseley and he brought me down and sold a bit of confidence back into me. I’m enjoying it down there.
“Four years ago I was at my local team Sherburn White Rose. To say four years down the line, I’m playing five or six divisions higher than what I was, it is a quick transition.”

No comments:

Post a Comment